The Process of Acceptance Into a CovenThe soon-to-be witch (The title ‘witch’ is equally applicable to men and to women) should prepare herself a little, read mythologies, truly believe in commandments of Wicca and devote herself to ancient Gods (there is no need to renounce other faiths). Upon mastering the arts, the soon-to-be witch (by this time, she can call herself a pagan) usually starts to collect tools, and create small personal rites worshiping her Gods. Many pagans do not go beyond this stage. The next step is to find a suitable coven for yourself ? the most difficult step. Wicca doesn?t recruit members at all. Those who want to be part of Wicca should say so by themselves. Fortunately, there are enough covens that search for new members. It is believed that when a student is ready, a teacher will be found. Due to the secretive nature of Wiccan covens, there are various frauds and scammers out there, each with their own agenda. The following points should rise a suspicion:
- If they are trying to recruit you. A fraud will typically impose on you. He will be ready to make you his High Priestess right this moment.
- If the answer for most of your questions is: ?You?ll learn after initiation?.
- If they say that sex is required for the ceremony. In Wicca, there are practices with copulation, but they are not mandatory. Also there are absolutely honest covens where nudity is required and it is quite normal. In this case you’ve got to follow your heart.
- If you need to pay money for tuition or rituals. Wiccan covens do not take money for such services. It is another thing to sell regularly priced books or sell tickets to a pagan festival, when you need to rent space, pay for travel lecturers and bards, to cover organizational expenses, etc. But it is not accepted to profit from the purely priestly services.
- If the coven isn?t Wiccan, but satanic. Both covens have their similarities: mantles, daggers, and secret rituals in a circle. But Wicca glorifies nature, Gods and teaches: “Do what you will, so long as it harms none”.
- If the coven associates and includes Nazi symbols, rhetoric and propaganda. Wicca is in no way associated with Nazism, and does not condone it. It goes against Wiccan beliefs and teachings.
Degrees of DedicationIn Wicca there are usually three (rarely four) degrees of dedication. The first degree – is a beginner, the newly-made witch that needs to learn and learn. Second degree – means a priestess, a witch who can serve on the rites, and carry out some by herself. The third level – gives the status of the high priestess / priest, an Elder, board member of the coven. The time interval between the initiations is similar to the grove ? a year and a day. After receiving the third degree, the High Priestess / Priest can leave the coven to create their own. In this case, it is acceptable to give the High Priestess of the mother coven a silver buckle for the garter. In some traditions, this rite is accompanied by honoring the High Priestess of the mother coven the fourth degree of dedication – Witch Queen. However, this degree does not give anything higher than the third degree of any different tradition.
- Uninitiated Neophyte: Perfect love and perfect trust.
- First Degree: Greeting to all ends of the triangle.
- Second Degree: Thank the moon’s beauty.
- Third Degree: When mated, they will be truly united.