Selene, goddess of the moon, was revered by the ancient Greeks as a symbol of the feminine divine and a protector of women. She was often depicted as a beautiful woman with a crescent moon crown and a chariot drawn by white oxen, and was believed to hold great power over the cycles of the natural world. In this article, we will explore the history and mythology of Selene, as well as offer some guidance on how to pray to her for guidance and inspiration.
The Mythology of Selene
In Greek mythology, Selene was the daughter of the Titans Hyperion and Theia, and the sister of the sun god Helios and the dawn goddess Eos. She was the personification of the moon, and was often depicted as a beautiful woman with a crescent moon crown and a chariot drawn by white oxen.
According to legend, Selene fell in love with the mortal shepherd Endymion, who was so beautiful that Zeus granted him eternal youth and placed him in a deep sleep so that he could be with Selene forever. Selene visited Endymion every night, bathing him in the light of the moon and showering him with kisses. Together, they had fifty daughters, who were said to be the first nymphs.
Selene was also associated with Artemis, the virgin goddess of the hunt and the wilderness. Like Artemis, Selene was a protector of women and was believed to have the power to bring about new life. In some myths, Selene and Artemis were even said to be the same goddess, with Selene representing the moon during the night and Artemis representing the sun during the day.
How to Pray to Selene
There are many different ways to pray to Selene, depending on your personal beliefs and practices. Here are a few suggestions for ways to connect with the goddess of the moon:
- Create an altar: If you have a space in your home that is dedicated to your spiritual practice, you may want to create an altar to Selene. This can be as simple or as elaborate as you like, but should include items that are meaningful to you and that represent Selene’s qualities and domains. Some ideas might include a crescent moon symbol, white candles, a bowl of water, and crystals or stones that are associated with the moon or with feminine energy.
- Meditate with Selene: One of the most powerful ways to connect with Selene is through meditation. You can find a quiet place to sit or lie down, close your eyes, and focus on your breath. As you breathe deeply, imagine yourself in a beautiful meadow or forest, surrounded by the light of the moon. Visualize Selene’s chariot drawn by white oxen, and see her stepping down from the chariot and approaching you. As she draws near, feel her warmth and love enveloping you, and allow yourself to be filled with her divine energy.
- Offer up a prayer or a petition: If you have a specific request or need that you would like to bring to Selene, you can offer up a prayer or a petition. This can be as simple as saying a few words out loud, or you can write your prayer down and place it on your altar or in a special spot where you can focus on it. Be sure to express your gratitude for Selene’s guidance and support, and trust that she will hear your prayer and do what is best for you.
- Perform a ritual: If you are comfortable with ritual work, you may want to create a more structured way of connecting with Selene. This could involve preparing an altar, lighting candles or incense, and performing a series of actions or gestures that are meaningful to you. Some ideas for rituals to honor Selene might include:
- Dancing under the moon: Find a spot outside where you can see the moon, and let yourself move to the rhythm of your own body. You can play music if you like, or simply let the energy of the moon guide your movements. As you dance, focus on the energy of Selene and feel her presence within you.
- Singing or chanting: You can create your own songs or chants to honor Selene, or you can use traditional hymns or prayers to the goddess. Singing or chanting can be a powerful way to connect with the divine and to raise your own vibration.
- Creating art: Another way to connect with Selene is through creative expression. You can draw, paint, sculpt, or create in any way that feels meaningful to you. As you work, focus on the energy of the moon and let yourself be guided by Selene’s inspiration.
- Planting seeds: If you have a garden or even just a few pots, you can plant seeds as a way of honoring Selene and the cycles of the natural world. Choose seeds that are associated with the moon, such as white flowers or herbs, and plant them under the light of the full moon. As you tend to your plants, focus on the energy of Selene and the growth that is taking place within you as well.
Selene, the goddess of the moon, is a powerful and inspiring figure for many people. Whether you pray to her for guidance and support, or simply draw inspiration from her mythology and energy, Selene can be a source of strength and beauty in your life. May you find strength and guidance in her light, and may she bring you the blessings of the feminine divine.
And at last a contributed prayer to Selene from Niki, one of our frequent visitors.
Selene, Mother Goddess of the Moon,
Wrap me in your cocoon of knowledge.
Matters of the home I seek,
Knowing that when times are bleak,
You will wrap me in your arms and keep me safe.
If I am worthy, in your eyes,
Shine down on me from the skies.
Provide my home with your healing embrace,
Magic and peace provide to my space.
I ask this of you with all humility,
Provide my life with your tranquility.
So mote it be!
Thank you Niki for contributing this lovely prayer!
was on the top in and out twist and shot why alone loneliness keepsake not to hidden keepsake but expands
You must log in to post a comment.